Summer Accessories Pattern Round Up!

 It's been a bit of time since my last article, but I just had to show you what I've been up to!  We purchased a new -to- us patio furniture set last summer and this year was the year to get it in order. 


 (It's a work in progress, obviously!) The furniture set spawned a bunch of new ideas for product for the website, though; and that sent me off digging for new patterns.  I decided to really capitalize on the colors in the new cushions, and craft my accessories to coordinate.  This will, at a later date, include refreshing the paint on my lime green accent tables,  probably painting the umbrella base, and power washing the chair frames to get rid of rust.  Here's a close up of the cushion pattern:

The patio cushions themselves were purchased at my local walmart, and were very reasonably priced.  I went a step further and ordered Scotchguard outdoor protectant from Amazon to seal them up from water damage and sunfading. Inspired by these bright shades, I was off to search for just the right accessory patterns!

 It's been said that pattern collecting and actually crafting the item are two separate hobbies, and friends I am here to confirm that! I can dig and save and print patterns for hours without ever picking up a hook or a ball of yarn.  Setting a lovely table for family gatherings has always been one of the things I aspire to but has been out of reach.  With summer patio and picnic tables, I have so many more fun options of things I can make to decorate my own table!  Placemats,  coasters,  decorative buntings or banners to hang from the porch rails or even lanterns to hang from your trees!  


Of course, the perfect yarn for these summer projects was the first item on the agenda.  Lily brand Sugar and Cream cotton comes in tons of vibrant shades.  The trick is to choose just one or two to work with!  I love this particular cotton yarn for dish cloths,  placemats,  coasters, pretty much any kitchen accessory.  It wears well and holds its colors.  Below are the colors I'm working with:



Now that my colors are chosen, it's time for the fun part!  Tracking down just the right patterns to create my fun summer table settings!

First up-mug rugs.  The fun way of saying coasters, really.  I chose a very simple pattern that works up quickly.  A full set of 4 took only a single afternoon, and it took longer to tie on the fringe than to make the rugs themselves!  I'll admit right now to cheating just a smidge, too. I found a coordinating cotton yarn at my local dollar tree that had white worked in with the turquoise.  I used that for the mug rugs, to give a bit of accent to the other items that will follow.  The cotton is fantastic for absorbing all the condensation from the outside of the glass. After all, who wants a wet table when you start to serve the meal?  Here's the pattern I used, and a few more, just for fun!

1)Eyelet Mug Rug by KickinCrochet.  I love her patterns, and the accompanying youtube tutorials!

2)Moss Stitch Mug Rug also by KickinCrochet.  I worked this one up using Peaches & Creme Stripey in Linen that is just gorgeous, for my living room! 



3)Rainbow Square, found at allfreecrochet.com. Perfect for Pride month, or any other month!  Technically, this is a dish cloth pattern, but I think worked up in cotton, this will be so much fun!

4)Joyful Mandala, also from allfreecrochet.  I love this amazing collection of colors. Capitalizing on the current trend, you could really whip up a colorful table!  Start with the coaster size, and just keep increasing in size for placemats.  How gorgeous would that table be?


I'm terrible at using something only for it's intended purpose.  Everything in my house has to do double duty!  That being said,  I found a nice rattan serving tray that's been sitting in a cabinet forever.  A little scrubbing, and.. hmm.. a placemat pattern for a liner!  Ready, set, HUNT!



1)Every Room Crochet Placemat by windingroadcrochet.  I'll admit, I have a bunch of her patterns.  I'm always stalking her page for more ideas.  This pattern is my current favorite, because it has so many different size options. From windowsill liner to placemat, to bath mat, you really can't go wrong.  

2)Summer Waves Placemat by Moogly.  This bright, fresh take on an old favorite really calls to mind summer picnics at the beach!  I can't wait to make this one!

3) Simple, but colorful! This pattern, at dummies.com,  is a super easy make with great impact.  A full rainbow of colors all over your table!

4)Sunny Morning This round placemat set by Drops includes a decorative napkin ring and even something called an egg warmer?  I'm not entirely certain what that is, but it's pretty!  The round style serves as an alternative to a charger if you'd like to set a more up-scale table for a summer brunch!

Finally, no summer is complete without a convenient way to carry your ever present water bottle, right?  These work up so quickly, and with the addition of a cross body strap, can free up your hands for dog walking, stroller pushing, lawn mowing or just hand holding!

1)Water Bottle Cozy from Pahavit's Universe blog,  is a simple SC repeat in multiple colors. Perfect for a standard 16oz water bottle.

2)Easy Water Bottle Holder from Love, Life, Yarn!  I have 2 of these already done and more on the way.  The thermal stitch cross body strap is wide and comfortable , and this holds my 20 oz stainless bottle easily. I might be able to use a larger one, I just haven't tried yet!

3)Quick n Easy, this carrier from theburgundybasket can easily be modified to hold any size bottle you can think of!

4)Water Bottle Carrier w/ Phone Pocket.  This gorgeous carrier from nickishomemadecrafts includes an add on pocket to bring your phone, ID and a little cash with you, just in case!  


Have fun with these, and so many more options around the web!  Craft your own designer table settings and accessories.  Next week? Summer tote bags and carry alls!  See you then!


Comments

Popular Posts