Happy Hygge Year!


Ok, that opener is a little lame, I know. I just couldn't resist. I've been excited about this particular project all month and just couldn't wait any longer!

We've all seen the rush to embrace the Danish home styling called "hygge". (pronounced HOOgah) Loosely translated, that means "cozy". To me, it means warm, inviting, almost sensual in it's invitation to partake. The Danes take that a little further, however, defining Hygge as the moments that encompass that feeling, regardless of where you might be. Playing board games with friends, having a family meal , or just cuddled in front of the fire, these are all Hygge moments. Amazon has dozens of books on the topic, many of them available on KU, which is great--lots of reading about cozy life, while I make one!



Visually, Hygge style includes soft, neutral colors, multiple textures. Warm lighting, thick rugs,even scents are included in the Hygge style. Whatever it takes to make your personal space say "Come in, and know me better, man!"

Since we're based in a trailer home, making it feel warm and welcoming means overcoming the 1980's wallpaper and trailer windows, to start with. For us, that will mean a coat of paint in the spring. Between now and then, you and I will brainstorm ideas, and craft some of the lovely things that will enhance the feelings of warmth and comfort. Pet safe candle options, for instance. Or throw pillows that are both decorative and COMFY! (oh so important). Decor that works for all of us, but still exudes that soft, cozy feeling of "oh i could just sit here all day". That's what I'm shooting for.

The first thing I usually think of when someone says that their decorating style is Hygge, or Hygge inspired, is blankets. Thick, cushy, cuddly blankets that beg to be snuggled up under with a good book. So , that's where we're going to start. I've chosen a simple, yet elegant afghan pattern to begin our journey. The lovely ladies at Oombawka design were part of a Hygge CAL last year, which is where I found this delicious pattern. I can't wait to start! https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2019/03/cozy-hygge-throw-pattern-hygge-for-the-home.html

Gather your materials, organize your work space for maximum comfort. Lay in a stock of your favorite hot beverage (and a stash of leftover Christmas cookies to go with!). January 1st, we begin! Happy Hygge-days! (yeah, I know... lame...)

Comments

Popular Posts